Purpose

The reason for this blog

Many times this summer as I've traveled down the path of my Achilles journey, I've taken to the internet to find firsthand accounts...

Monday, May 15, 2017

Day 1: The Rupture

How did you do this?  It’s a question I’ve heard frequently this summer as I’ve been laid up with a ruptured Achilles tendon. I did it saving a baby. It’s true! My nephew was toddling toward the basement stairs. I jumped off the couch and bounded toward him. As I landed from my leap, my left foot came up under the piano bench. My heel hit the edge and with blinding pain, RUPTURED Achilles tendon.

John rushed me to the West Allis Memorial Hospital ER. They squeezed my calf muscle. When my foot did not flex, this told them my Achilles had ruptured. However, they pulled out an ultrasound machine just to confirm the diagnosis. Sure enough, I ruptured it.

When the actual act of rupturing happened, I felt INTENSE and sudden pain. After I kicked that bench, it hardly hurt at all except when I tried to put weight on it to walk. I left the hospital on crutches, in a fiberglass cast/splint with instructions to bear NO weight on my left foot. Believe you me, they did NOT have to tell me that twice. I didn’t want ANY weight on that foot.

Day 1: Splint from the ER

No comments:

Post a Comment